[SoaS] troubleshooting SoaS failures

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:37:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Brooks, Kevin <Kevin.Brooks at ndsu.edu> wrote:
> I'm working on a project in which we gave ten 3rd-5th graders a SoaS; we asked them to take it home and try it.  Only 3 of 10 were successful in booting to the stick. We gave them good instructions (we think) and they reported trying various things (F12, Esc, Delete, combinations). Is there a trouble shooting FAQ available, or can list members generate some likely scenarios.  Are there hardware and software issues that could be interfering? I've never had a SoaS NOT work, so the fail rate surprised me.

There can be issues with Linux USB keys booting off some hardware.

Could you give me some more details:
- what version of SoaS
- how did you create the keys.
- what sort of HW?

Basically if the machine is old and doesn't support booting off a USB
key you've got problems. Is there anyone on site that is technical?