[SoaS] Testing liveinst in SoaS-3

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue May 25 23:27:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Mon, 24-05-2010 a las 15:33 +0200, Sebastian Dziallas escribió:
>
>> >  * After installation, firstboot bothers the user with more silly
>> >   questions. The firstboot package could probably be uninstalled.
>>
>> Either that or branded and made more useful - it used to provide the
>> ability to do the keyboard selection before logging in which I think
>> is pretty sane, but apparently this got ripped out by upstream because
>> of some regressions a couple of releases ago.
>
> Sugar already has its own firstboot procedure in which you get to choose
> the username and colors. We may want to extend the firstboot procedure
> to invoke the keyboard settings on systems on which it cannot be
> autodetected.

There is an unimplemented description of this feature in the wiki
(which seems to be down, so I cannot include the exact link.)

We've also discussed but not reached consensus on eliminating the
color dialog--just assigning a random color and letting the user
change it in the control panel (using the new color selector that
missed 0.88). The arguments were approximately simplicity vs choosing
your color is part of making your feel more connected.

>> >  * After installation, sudo does not work out of the box. (this is one
>> >   of the major annoyances of Fedora, it should be fixed upstream too)
>>
>> It doesn't work on the live image out of the box either, from what I
>> recall. You've got a point there, but this is indeed one of Fedora's
>> decisions as upstream.
>
> I'll bother some of the core Fedora people I know to see if this could
> be changed. On OLPC's images, sudo is already configured nicely.
>
> --
>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
>  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

-walter