[SoaS] Testing liveinst in SoaS-3

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon May 24 09:33:57 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday we evaluated a nightly compose of SoaS-3 on a Toshiba laptop
> of one of our teacher trainers.
>
> Hardware support was perfect and the overall impression was very good.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm really looking forward to this release.

> However, installation to hard drive with liveinst could use some tuning:
>

>  * installer asks for way too many technical questions such as hostname,
>   root password... Most of these should be unnecessary for SoaS.
>
>  * By default, liveinst tries to create a complicated partition layout
>   using LVM + swap + boot + root. Just root should be enough on any
>   computer which can already boot SoaS just fine from USB.

Both of these points can be swapped out by providing the liveinst
command (or was it the anaconda one? liveinst calls anaconda, so that
should work anyway) with a kickstart file in which such things might
be predefined.

If this is something we really want, I could probably look into it as
part of my GSoC, I guess.

>  * After installation, firstboot bothers the user with more silly
>   questions. The firstboot package could probably be uninstalled.

Either that or branded and made more useful - it used to provide the
ability to do the keyboard selection before logging in which I think
is pretty sane, but apparently this got ripped out by upstream because
of some regressions a couple of releases ago.

So in its current state, I guess you're right.

>  * No automatic login after installation. You get GDM and you have to
>   key-in a password, which is very un-sweet :-/

We could throw that in the kickstart file, too.

>  * After installation, sudo does not work out of the box. (this is one
>   of the major annoyances of Fedora, it should be fixed upstream too)

It doesn't work on the live image out of the box either, from what I
recall. You've got a point there, but this is indeed one of Fedora's
decisions as upstream.

> I'll follow up with additional comments as we deploy SoaS on more
> computers and collect feedback from more formadores.

Thank you! This is really appreciated! :)

--Sebastian