[SoaS] The new nightly composes of f13 Mirabelle cannot be installed to Hard disk

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat Mar 27 16:18:01 EDT 2010

I am worried about our next soas release:

==The new nightly composes of f13 Mirabelle cannot be installed to Hard
disk:

I have tried installing,using a Burned CD and a booted USB stick,
to:
a-) internal Hard Disks
b-) usb attached Hard Disk
c-) 2,4,and 8 GB USB Sticks formatted in many ways.

Methods Tried:

1-) Anaconda (liveinst) crashes (bug)
I have tried booting with
*Dell520n Intel Duo
(boots CD and starts soas)
* Hp x1000 laptop with AMD Turion64
(will not boot at all, I have tried both i386 and 64 versions as CD's)

2-) zyx-liveinstaller has been removed from the latest -326 version.
(It would not work either when it was included in the builds)
also dmc (dmc at filteredperception.org) the developer has given up on
trying to make it work on f13.

3-)The only way I have found to make a working USB of Mirabelle in its
current state,
is to use the (f11-f12)liveusb-creator, either graphical or command line.
or the dd comand to make a non-persistent USB. Even so the SOAS Sticks
made this way will not
boot on the AMD Turion laptop at all and takes much longer to boot than
previous SOAS versions did.

This is a very bad situation to be in this close to a release, even if
it is now called a development release  v2.5.
I have submitted bug reports about this (#1872)

==Blueberry, on the other hand, worked with all of these techniques.

==I also very much like the stability of Bernie's ext3 file structured
Blueberry-direct.img
    http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/soas-2-blueberry-direct-2GB.img.xz
which I have modified to be used on a larger 4GB USB/SD

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-2-blueberry-direct-cleared-3GB.img.xz

   Note:(this spin, being ext3, allows resizing of the partition with
gparted for a larger USB.)

I hope that Bernie will be able to release a updated build of Blueberry
and it will be in both a Blueberry.iso and Blueberry-Direct.img format.

Tom Gilliard
satellit