[SoaS] The new nightly composes of f13 Mirabelle cannot be installed to Hard disk

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:19:09 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Thomas C Gilliard
<satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:
> I am worried about our next soas release:
>
> ==The new nightly composes of f13 Mirabelle cannot be installed to Hard
> disk:
>
> I have tried installing,using a Burned CD and a booted USB stick,
> to:
> a-) internal Hard Disks
> b-) usb attached Hard Disk
> c-) 2,4,and 8 GB USB Sticks formatted in many ways.
>
> Methods Tried:
>
> 1-) Anaconda (liveinst) crashes (bug)
> I have tried booting with
> *Dell520n Intel Duo
> (boots CD and starts soas)
> * Hp x1000 laptop with AMD Turion64
> (will not boot at all, I have tried both i386 and 64 versions as CD's)

So where's the bug report in the Fedora bugzilla with the crash dump attached?

> 2-) zyx-liveinstaller has been removed from the latest -326 version.
> (It would not work either when it was included in the builds)
> also dmc (dmc at filteredperception.org) the developer has given up on
> trying to make it work on f13.

The reason it was dropped was due to the fact the upstream maintainer
has no interest in maintaining going forward in Fedora. So if its not
supported upstream there's not much point including a broken tool it
will only create confusion.

> 3-)The only way I have found to make a working USB of Mirabelle in its
> current state,
> is to use the (f11-f12)liveusb-creator, either graphical or command line.
> or the dd comand to make a non-persistent USB. Even so the SOAS Sticks
> made this way will not
> boot on the AMD Turion laptop at all and takes much longer to boot than
> previous SOAS versions did.

Did it work previously on the on that machine? Does a standard Fedora
F-13 live image work that way?

> This is a very bad situation to be in this close to a release, even if
> it is now called a development release  v2.5.
> I have submitted bug reports about this (#1872)

We're not that close to release. In fact its about 6 weeks away of the
release of SoaS 3. The Fedora 13 beta isn't even out the door yet. The
bug report is not much good without a backtrack from anaconda and it
needs to be in the Fedora bug tracker other wise the people that can
fix it won't see it. Its fine in the SL as a tracker.

> ==Blueberry, on the other hand, worked with all of these techniques.

I seem to remember there was issues with the installer about this time
in the Blueberry release as well. Its not unusual to have anaconda
issues at this time in the development process. If we get a decent bug
report with all the relevant debug output I'll make it a blocker for
the F-13 release. I'll also be testing SoaS in much more depth this
week.