[SoaS] Update on SoaS testing process

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Jun 21 16:26:39 EDT 2010

We're getting together a testing process and infrastructure for SoaS
(which should be generally adaptable to Sugar and Activities in the
future). This is a weekly report of progress; I'll try to do these
before SoaS weekly meetings
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_meetings) in the future.

Current progress is at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_release_process#Testing_process

Our test process, which is under construction, will consist of the
following:

# An agreed-upon image each week for testers to attack. This will be the
nightly build as of 23:59:59 GMT each Thursday.
# An agreed-upon set of test cases for them to execute (iow, the "test
plan" thing we haven't had before)
# An agreed-upon place and format for the results from running those
test cases to be reported to
# An agreed-upon $datetime each week by which all test results for that
week will be submitted - so that the development team has a chance to
look at those results and revise the build before the next test image
goes out.

The first thing we are doing is getting a weekly image under test to
automatically appear at a static link. We are going to set up a cron job
so the nightly build (from
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/soas/ - which we
need to start up again from the Fedora side) grabs and archives the
appropriate image-under-test to http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/test/
(which was just created for this very purpose).

Once that is working, we will create a place to report test results,
write a first example test case, and put out our first weekly call for
testing.

For those who want to get started helping with testing and don't know
where to start, writing test cases for Activities is a fine way to do
it. For an example, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/Activity/Analyze
- think of test cases as "scripts for human beings rather than
computers," and you won't be far off. A newcomer should be able to
follow your instructions, start to finish, without needing to ask any
questions, and end up completing exactly the same process and getting
exactly the same results you did.

--Mel