[SoaS] Upgrading Sticks

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 23:23:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Raffael Reichelt <
raffael.reichelt at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was wondering if  there is a
> way to update an existing stick, e.g., Strawberry to Mirabelle.
>
> Regards,
> Raffael

That is a good question!

To preserve your Journal contents, consider this recent message,
http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.laptop.org/msg24150.html.

Also see http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/LiveOS_image for some background
information on alternate installation options.  The Live USB Creator methods
do not create a separate Home directory, and so, will more rapidly consume
the persistent storage area on the stick.

If the storage capacity of your stick is large enough (4+ gigabytes), you
may want to consider a non-compressed filesystem install (sometimes called a
"full install") without the write-once overlay of the LiveOS that is used
for operating system changes, but you'll have to sort through the various
experiments here,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation/Variations.

Tell us more about your experiences!  An easier installation and upgrade
path with instructions is surely needed.

        --Fred