[SoaS] Activity inclusion for SoaS-4

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:20:18 EDT 2010

Hi Peter,

On 12 Jul 2010, at 22:16, pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi SoaS people,
>
> So the current Sugar Activity list for SoaS-4 stands as follows with
> the justifications as to why they're included.
>
> The basic idea is to include the core Sucrose/Fructose Activity list
> (as long as they are actively maintained and work) and then a small
> selection of Activities that are well supported and demonstrate the
> features of the Sugar Learning platform such as the collaboration side
> of it to contribute towards the K-6 side of SoaS's targets.
>
> So the core sugar Fructose activities [1] list is:
> Browse
> Chat
> EToys
> Log
> Pippy
> Read
> Terminal
> TurtleArt
> Write
>
> These ones are also on the Fructose list but I'm not sure of their
> status so we need to be convinced of their status:
> Calculate

FWIW Calculate is now next on my it list, the version in git is as yet unreleased, it was updated with new toolbar support for 0.86 and a bunch of fixes but the release was overlooked. Want to give it another testing pass here, and will see if there are some low hanging bug fixes I could make from trac.

> Image/ImageViewer
> Jukebox
>
> To the Fructose list we're adding:
> Physics - Because this is a great demo example (quick demo).
> Record - Because its useful and kids tend to like recording/photoing stuff.
> xoirc - Because this helps us help them.

Just called IRC these days.

> paint - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
> memorize - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
> speak - Good for voice demos
>
> So the current planned inclusion list is as follows:
> Browse
> Chat
> EToys
> Log
> Pippy
> Read
> Terminal
> TurtleArt
> Write
> Physics
> Record
> xoirc
> paint
> memorize
> speak
>
> That currently gives us a list of 15 Activities. Its obviously not the
> final list and I look forward to suggestions. Its not guaranteed the
> above list remain the same. For example Read still does not work. And
> we're not aiming to get to the same level of previous releases, its
> currently not maintainable with the current SoaS resources.
>
> Things to note are that the Activities need to be working, well
> maintained, packaged in Fedora to be considered. To be in Fedora they
> can't contain any binary blobs (if they have code that needs to be
> compiled, that's fine but it must be done as per Fedora packaging
> guidelines).

Hmm, Physics has always had a binary blob in it (_Box2D.so in a Python .egg), the packaging dance is an alien to me so perhaps Sebastian did some magic there (FWIW Physics is up to version 5 with new toolbar support, grab tool works while simulation is paused, code clean-up, and latest translations).

I can email someone the Physics-5.tar.bz2 if needed? Folks don't seem to want these files on the wiki, and individual shell accounts for access is a real pain, if that's the only thing you ever use the account for – I gave up uploading last year, and I'm sure Bernie has better things to spend his time on :)

Regards,
--Gary