[SoaS] Activity inclusion for SoaS-4

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 04:13:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Gary Martin
<garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 12 Jul 2010, at 22:16, pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi SoaS people,
>>
>> So the current Sugar Activity list for SoaS-4 stands as follows with
>> the justifications as to why they're included.
>>
>> The basic idea is to include the core Sucrose/Fructose Activity list
>> (as long as they are actively maintained and work) and then a small
>> selection of Activities that are well supported and demonstrate the
>> features of the Sugar Learning platform such as the collaboration side
>> of it to contribute towards the K-6 side of SoaS's targets.
>>
>> So the core sugar Fructose activities [1] list is:
>> Browse
>> Chat
>> EToys
>> Log
>> Pippy
>> Read
>> Terminal
>> TurtleArt
>> Write
>>
>> These ones are also on the Fructose list but I'm not sure of their
>> status so we need to be convinced of their status:
>> Calculate
>
> FWIW Calculate is now next on my it list, the version in git is as yet unreleased, it was updated with new toolbar support for 0.86 and a bunch of fixes but the release was overlooked. Want to give it another testing pass here, and will see if there are some low hanging bug fixes I could make from trac.

Excuse my ignorance but what list? I also don't currently see it on
the list of packages available in F-13 (didn't check as far as the
packages in Review though).

>> Image/ImageViewer
>> Jukebox
>>
>> To the Fructose list we're adding:
>> Physics - Because this is a great demo example (quick demo).
>> Record - Because its useful and kids tend to like recording/photoing stuff.
>> xoirc - Because this helps us help them.
>
> Just called IRC these days.
>
>> paint - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
>> memorize - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
>> speak - Good for voice demos
>>
>> So the current planned inclusion list is as follows:
>> Browse
>> Chat
>> EToys
>> Log
>> Pippy
>> Read
>> Terminal
>> TurtleArt
>> Write
>> Physics
>> Record
>> xoirc
>> paint
>> memorize
>> speak
>>
>> That currently gives us a list of 15 Activities. Its obviously not the
>> final list and I look forward to suggestions. Its not guaranteed the
>> above list remain the same. For example Read still does not work. And
>> we're not aiming to get to the same level of previous releases, its
>> currently not maintainable with the current SoaS resources.
>>
>> Things to note are that the Activities need to be working, well
>> maintained, packaged in Fedora to be considered. To be in Fedora they
>> can't contain any binary blobs (if they have code that needs to be
>> compiled, that's fine but it must be done as per Fedora packaging
>> guidelines).
>
> Hmm, Physics has always had a binary blob in it (_Box2D.so in a Python .egg), the packaging dance is an alien to me so perhaps Sebastian did some magic there (FWIW Physics is up to version 5 with new toolbar support, grab tool works while simulation is paused, code clean-up, and latest translations).

I'll double check it with sebastian but there's a pybox2d in Fedora
that is maintained by Sebastian so I suspect we're OK in that case.

> I can email someone the Physics-5.tar.bz2 if needed? Folks don't seem to want these files on the wiki, and individual shell accounts for access is a real pain, if that's the only thing you ever use the account for – I gave up uploading last year, and I'm sure Bernie has better things to spend his time on :)

I would prefer it on a web space somewhere, do you have a people.sl.org account?