[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Sat Jan 23 13:43:28 EST 2010

On 01/23/2010 08:31 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org
> <mailto:bernie at codewiz.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 08:53 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>      > You can also use the upstream liveinst to install to a usb drive. You
>      > need a second stick (or a real liveCD) so that you boot the live
>     image
>      > off one and install to the other. I've done it before and it works
>      > well.
>
>     Ah, didn't know there were two different tools. ZyX is also in Fedora,
>     and Warren Togami told me recently that the livecd-tools are currently
>     unmaintained. He's been doing some bug fixing, but has no time to do any
>     real development. When I asked live iso/usb questions on #fedora-devel,
>     none of the core developers seemed to know (or care) much about it :-(
>

> liveinst is the official Fedora tool. Its part of anaconda.
>
>     Separate from the tools issues, I guess it would be nice to our users if
>     we could provide a ready-to-use downloadable usb image which doesn't
>     require any special tool besides dd (or something like RAWRITE.EXE on
>     winblows).
>

> dd or rawwrite isn't exactly what I would class as easy to use for the
> average user.
>
>     One problem with plain images is that you need to decide the size ahead
>     of time. The partition size is hard-coded in the DOS partition table.
>     Even if the partition table were flexible, ext2/3/4 needs to be re-sized
>     manually (although this could be done online and quickly on first boot).
>

> That's the advantage of liveinst. Boot the live CD/Key and it deals with
> all of that. As long as the key is large enough for the contents of the
> livecd it will then expand out the filesystem to fill the install
> destination as part of the procedure.

And it ought to go without saying, that zyx-liveinstaller, already
included, does what liveinst does, but without the need to reboot
afterwords.  Hence why it was included in blueberry.

But obviously anaconda/liveinst is more mature, so if you can get that
working with soas, all the better.  But myself, I like the rebootless :)

-dmc