[SoaS] Help in scripting % post command to copy files to desktop- (SugarCreationStation CD)

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Fri Aug 6 08:40:16 EDT 2010

pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Firstly, why didn't you email this to the SoaS list. Mel, Sebastian
> and I are all on it and then others can benefit if they're attempting
> this.
>
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Thomas C Gilliard
> <satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter;
>>
>> I am working on a sub-feature for Soas v4:  (Installer CD for Remixability
>> feature)
>>

> Not a feature but then Mel kindly covered this.

Changed:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Soas_V4/SugarCreationStation#Summary
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Soas_V4/SugarCreationStation
>>
>> I am trying to copy the contents of spin-kickstarts to the live user desktop
>> in a customized XFCE live kickstart file in F13
>>

> Why does it need to be copied to the desktop?

Having a copy of the spin-kickstarts in a folder on the liveuser Desktop
eases access and solves permission problems for the targeted user base
ie:Teachers
>> I have added the following to the programs section:
>>
>> livecd-tools
>> spin-kickstarts
>> zyx-liveinstaller
>> gparted
>>

> Not sure what you mean by added them to the programs section, please explain.

These are added to the kickstart so that they will be installed on the .iso
>> I have tried these lines in % post:
>>
>> mkdir /home/liveuser//home/liveuser/Desktop/spin-kickstarts
>> cp -r /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/*.ks
>> /home/liveuser/Desktop/spin-kickstarts/
>>

> I presume your doing this in the kickstart. Firstly your directory
> structure will be different during the build but above why do you have
> 2 /home/liveuser in the first line?

sorry typo. Please help me with the command I need to use to copy the
contents of

/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/
/home/liveuser/Desktop/spin-kickstarts

>> I get the spin-kickstarts Folder created on the desktop in XFCE but there
>> are no files in it.
>>
>> Everything else works but I need the .ks files on the desktop....
>>

> I'm not sure why you want to copy the kickstart files to a folder on
> the desktop, why not just document their location.

see above
>> Is there something else I need to include?
>>

> I'm not sure what your trying to achieve to know whether there's other
> stuff you need to include.
>

>> Mel said you possibly could help me  on this.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Tom Gilliard
>> satellit
>>
>> Added:
>> Is there any way in the % post section to include a "ReadMeFirst.txt" file
>> from my f13 build system Desktop to be built into the .iso to appear on the
>>  /home/liveuser/Desktop/
>> of the .iso?
>>

> Depending on how big the readme is and what you want to include in it
> you can generate it using cat. At the bottom of the soas.ks in the
> spins rpm there's 2 examples of this.
>
> Peter

I will look at it. I am a nubie at this...

Basically I am trying to make a live CD.iso that Boots to a desktop
which has a folder "spin-kickstarts" on it and a text file "ReadMeFirst"
containing instructions and links on how to make a Remix. Also on the
Desktop will be an Icon for zyx-liveinstaller (and no icon for
Anaconda(liveinst)).

 >This CD will be used to do a Hard Disk install with zyx-liveinstaller
(An exact copy) where it can be used to make Soas-Remix .iso's<

This will simplify, for the user, configuring their own install:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Features/Soas_V4/Remixability#Build_Your_Own_Remix

I am doing a build with a modified .ks file for each change...I am
making a lot of Bad CD coasters as I try to find out how to achieve the
results I want. Any help or other examples of .ks lines would be
appreciated. : )

Mel said :
----clip----
> To summarize your question - you're trying to figure out how to write
> a kickstart file that downloads and places files that aren't packaged
> (in this case, a .ks and a .txt file) in an arbitrary location (in
> this case, the liveuser's desktop)?
>
> I know we did this for the last POSSE Remix; both Sebastian and Peter
> had the .ks file for that at some point, so the syntax for it should
> be somewhere in there if the .ks file is floating about (I can't find
> it right now).
Are these .ks examples available for study?

Tom Gilliard
satellit