[SoaS] [Testing] gcc installation issue in Fedora-13-Live-Soas.iso image on Virtual Box

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:32:14 EDT 2010

Earlier responses:

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 19:10, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM, kushan athukorala
> <kushan.athukorala at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using Fedora-13-Live-Soas.iso image on a Oracle Virtual Box for
>> automated test designs for OLPC activities.
>>
>> When I try to 'yum install gcc', the system hangs while updating
>> glibc-common library.
>>
>> Does anyone has faced this issue before and appreciate a solution if any?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Kushan Athukorala
>
> Boosting available memory and storage space may make a difference.
> See
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/VirtualBox/Preparing_a_disk_image#Installing_VirtualBox_Guest_Additions
 for
> some experiences.
> Enlarging the overlay size with --overlay-size-mb 1024 and the VM memory
> allocation may help provide "headroom" for the installation.
>    --Fred

I agree, but even then, I don't recommend using soas for that. What
about just installing Fedora 13 then install sugar, development tools,
etc?

Regards,

Tomeu

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Kushan,
>

> On 5 Aug 2010, at 17:51, kushan athukorala <kushan.athukorala at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I am using Fedora-13-Live-Soas.iso image on a Oracle Virtual Box for
> automated test designs for OLPC activities.
>
> When I try to 'yum install gcc', the system hangs while updating
> glibc-common library.
>

> I've  not installed gcc, but for me usually that is a sign that yum has run
> out of memory. The various builds don't usually have any swap memory set as
> solid-state memory doesn't last as long when used for many/repeated write
> cycles. That's also one of the reasons yum is not usually used for regular
> users to upgrade and install activities in Sugar.

If SoaS is booted on a computer with a Linux swap partition on its hard
drive, SoaS will use it.
See this extract from my SoaS boot.log:

%G %G        Welcome to Fedora
        Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev: udevd-work[693]: '/usr/bin/vmmouse_detect' unexpected exit
with status 0x000b

udevd-work[696]: '/usr/bin/vmmouse_detect' unexpected exit with status
0x000b

%G [60G[  OK  ]
Setting hostname localhost.localdomain:  [60G[  OK  ]
Setting up Logical Volume Management:   No volume groups found
[60G[  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
[60G[  OK  ]
Mounting local filesystems:  [60G[  OK  ]
Enabling local filesystem quotas:  [60G[  OK  ]
Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:  [60G[  OK  ]
Entering non-interactive startup
Enabling swap partition /dev/sda5 [60G[  OK  ]
Mounting persistent /home Remounting live store r/w [60G[  OK  ]
[60G[  OK  ]

Also, one may test with this command:

[root at localhost ~]# cat /proc/swaps
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda5                               partition    2940920    0    -1

Though, this doesn't apply directly to a virtual machine, which probably has
memory managed by the host.

    --Fred

Make sure you have just Terminal open in Sugar to save memory, or even