[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Sep 29 15:38:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:24:13PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> We've been a distro distributor for months - from the before the
> beta-1 Sugar on a Stick announcement.

Who's we?  sugaronastick.com?  Sugar Labs members?  Let's be clear:
Sugar Labs does not have the staff to compete with Canonical or Fedora
as a distro vendor.  So please help me understand to what "distro
distributor" tasks you think the DP should propose to SLOB.

> And, we are marketing it with success (cf. worldwide tech press
> coverage, the BBC, etc).

How many people are using it?  Satisfied with SoaS as a distro?
What's the target deployment size, and what SL support will be
required?

I'm not saying it can't be done.  I'm saying I don't see any agreement
on what it is or who's going to do it.  Without that we should...

> We can do this because we are very, very careful not to overpromise.

...not overpromise :).

> Part of our work is to jumpstart a support ecosystem.

To the extent this impacts SoaS, this sounds like wishful thinking.
Who's doing this?  With what plan?  What targets are there?  Why do we
believe they'll be met?

> It's certainly not easy, but it's not impossible, in my view.

"Not impossible" covers a lot of ground.  What happened to not
overpromising :).

> Sean.

Martin