[SoaS] Formalize what SL project status means for SoaS spins

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Sep 24 00:48:57 EDT 2009

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Sugar_on_a_Stick#Formalize_what_SL_project_status_means_for_SoaS_spins

Discuss.

I've pasted the current text below for quick reading and easy reference;
if you're thinking of suggesting a change, just go ahead and make that
change on the wiki page directly (though it makes sense to announce and
discuss those changes on this list).

I'd like to be able to present the recommendations on the answers to
these questions at the Friday (October 2, 2009) SLOBs meeting so that we
can get this "project status" thing over and done with ASAP, so that's
what I'm planning on doing unless somebody hollers otherwise. (One thing
I'd like is for *someone else* to be presenting this at SLOBs, since I'm
hardly the best person to be speaking for Sebastian's project, so if
someone else *coughSebastiancough* is willing to take this to SLOBs next
week in my stead, that would be great.)

(And yeah, I know this 'structure' stuff is tedious right now; it's no
picnic for me either. Once it's all set up, though, it'll be invisible
and make things much easier - for SoaS projects and for all future SL
projects as well. It's the price you pay for being a pioneer. ;)

--Mel

PS: The questions list isn't necessarily perfect, btw - feel free to
reword/add/delete/change the questions as well as adding in your answers!

---

SoaS development and Sugar platform development are two separate
projects done by different groups; one for Sugar platform development
and one for each SoaS spin. There is currently only one active SoaS
spin, and it is the Fedora-based project being driven by Sebastian
Dziallas, for a current grand total of 2 project groups; however, there
may be other SoaS spins in the future.

Exactly what it means to be a SL project is still an open question.

    1. What are the criteria a SL project must meet (including
requirements for ongoing engagement/contribution)?
    2. How does something become a SL project?
          1. Who determines whether a project meets these criteria?
          2. How do they make that determination?
          3. Is there a schedule and/or timeline for this determination?
          4. How does someone initiate the process for requesting SL
project status, and who can do so?
          5. What happens if it is determined that a project does not
meet these criteria?
    3. How does a SL project become not a SL project, and for what
reasons might this happen?
    4. What benefits (mailing list, etc.) does a SL project get?
    5. How can all of the above answers be amended if needed in the future?
    6. What is the list of current projects that we are considering
including in the initial "this is a SL project" approval round, and what
do these projects have to do in order to be approved for the criteria?

Who decides: These decisions need to ultimately be ratified by SLOBs.
It's been suggested that Sebastian's Fedora-based SoaS spin be the test
case for the first "SL project," so it makes sense to start out on the
SoaS mailing list to come up with a set of proposed answers to these
questions that will work for the projects themselves, then ask SLOBs to
formalize them (with more discussion/modification if need be).