[SoaS] Governance & Trademark in the Wiki

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 05:47:36 EDT 2009

There are several intertwined issues here and I would like to make my
position clear (or clearer ;-) on several points.

1. "Sugar on a Stick" is indeed a brand, and the Marketing Team has
been building it as a brand. It has "brand equity": value, a topic I
will elaborate on shortly in a separate post. We are building the
brand because it is a key part of the Sugar Labs strategy to make
Sugar known as an available alternative on classroom computers
(whatever they are). As a Sugar Labs brand, I have advocated for
months that it be trademarked.

2. Branding only works if the underlying value proposition - the
product, goods, or services - is of interest and value to the target
market. In non-marketing jargon, that means the product itself must be
good for the brand to grow, and to achieve a breakout of quick growth
(say 2 years instead of 10), the product must be great.

3. "Sugar on a Stick" can only grow as a brand if we carefully choose
how it is presented and promoted and perceived. Anyone wishing to
modify Sugar on a Stick should either do so and call it something
else, or consult with us so their contribution can be better
integrated into the project, and we can be sure confusion will be
avoided, and we can even leverage their initiative in our marketing.
Unfortunately, sugaronastick.com is damaging the brand, because it
creates confusion. Confusion is deadly to any growing brand. Caroline,
we can try to fit what you're doing with that site into the Sugar Labs
strategy, but opening that site without consulting the community may
have compromised that. Many of us have our work on that site, yet we
have no say in it, and that's not OK. Of course, there would be no
issue if the version and site were named differently.

4. As Martin Dengler has passionately and eloquently pointed out, at
this time no one is in a position to support Sugar on a Stick in a way
that scales. My view is that a for-profit ecosystem of integrators
working for schools needs to be developed. However, it's a wide-open
question at this point whether and how this should be done. Which is
why Sugar on a Stick's main role now and in at least the year to come
is not as a deployable solution for schools, but the best way of
spreading the word to teachers that an alternative exists. In this
light, I believe it is premature to present SoaS as school-ready. And,
we cannot encourage anyone to call any liveUSB Sugar implementation
"Sugar on a Stick", because unofficial versions will not be
supportable, and the result will be damage to the brand.

5. Everyone needs to make a living, and all of us are contributing our
valuable time, and many of us funds, to get Sugar off the ground. In
my view, a fair approach would be for expenses to be tallied and
reimbursed at such a time as we have sufficient funding to do so. I
certainly won't begrudge you the time, money and resources you are
putting into Sugar Labs, but I'm afraid there is a lack of clarity
between what you're doing for Sugar Labs and what you want to do for
profit. Imagine for example if I set up a marketing consultancy and
sold deployment kits to schools for profit - I would be wearing two
hats, and community members would rightly wonder in which best
interest I would be acting as I proposed media campaigns.

6. I believe we are breaking new ground with what we are doing, which
means it could fail. I cannot guarantee widespread positive perception
of Sugar, but I can guarantee that without Sugar Labs calling the
shots on Sugar on a Stick, we will have far greater difficulty growing
Sugar awareness.

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator