[SoaS] DP summary of discussion time?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Oct 7 07:08:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 04:27:40PM -0400, Samuel Klein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com> wrote:
> > My answers:
> > Question 1: "Should Sugar Labs be a GNU/Linux distributor, rather than
> > just an upstream producing Sugar releases?"
> > 1. no - don't want to force people to use one distribution as this
> > could create a barrier to entry
> >
> > Question 2: "Should SL be neutral about distributions containing
> > Sugar, and refuse to endorse one over another?"
> > 2. yes - neutral about what distribution you base Sugar on so as not
> > to create barriers to entry for anyone
>
> I see two  variants to this question that we might want to ask
> separately:
>
> 2+ : "Should SL be neutral about all distros containing Sugar,
> regardless of how integral Sugar is to the distro and its intended
> uses?"
>
> 2.1: "Should SL be available to provide outreach, publicity campaigns,
> mentoring and other support for distributions [containing | centered
> around] Sugar?"

I don't think your two variants answer the original question (even
taken together).  So I think we still need to answer the original.

> 2+ : "Should SL be neutral about all distros containing Sugar,
> regardless of how integral Sugar is to the distro and its intended
> uses?"

As the "integral-ish" metric is so subjective I don't think this
question can be answered usefully concisely, and I don't think any
exhaustive answer would be used.

> 2.1: "Should SL be available to provide outreach, publicity campaigns,
> mentoring and other support for distributions [containing | centered
> around] Sugar?"

I think this question is dangerously inclusive.  It almost welcomes
abuse of a scarce resource (outreach, publicity, mentoring,
development time).  Even asking the question is going above any
reasonable expectation, I think.

Martin