[SoaS] Structural Changes & New Snapshots

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Oct 5 08:38:45 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm happy to announce quite some changes to Sugar on a Stick about which
you should be aware. Those have been made - incorporating users' and
developers' feedback - to reduce confusion.

(1) The SoaS directory structure has been adjusted! The snapshots have
been moved to their appropriate directory, so you'll find the SoaS v2
snapshots in /2. The same goes for the repository directories.
Additionally, the release file names have also been clarified.

(2) The SoaS snapshot naming scheme has changed! New snapshots will
follow a continuous scheme, like soas{xo}01.* and counting.

ATTENTION: The following work is untested and could eat babies.

(3) A new, SoaS and SoaS-XO snapshot is out! Thanks to the work done by
Martin Dengler, we've been able to merge the SoaS and SoaS-XO codebase.
Following subsequent efforts, we're NOW building and releasing those
images at the same time. A first result of has been made available and
is ready here: http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/

The soasxoXX.* images are obviously intended for use only with XO-1s. On
the other hand, the soasXX.* builds are the continued, general SoaS.

Please report any issues you encounter, if necessary also at Launchpad,
and let us know which images you've been using so that we can possibly
save space. Finally, on a side-note, the new soasXX.iso images should
also support being dd'ed to a device, as Satellit previously reported.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to these efforts,
--Sebastian Dziallas