No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

inform millions of teachers that there is an alternative?&quot; - we are<br=

obliged to seem to &quot;endorse&quot; one distro over another. But that&#3=
9;s a<br>
function of our combat to find a place for Sugar, not playing<br>
favorites... &quot;The right tool for the job&quot;. On a grassy hillside, =
we<br>
send in the cavalry; on a swift river, we launch the boats. Worrying<br>
about preferring the cavalry to the marines misses the point of our<br>
objective... nobody would send the boats up the hill.<br>
So. Fedora is playing a key role in the OLPC-OS and on today&#39;s Sugar<br=

on a Stick for the forseeable future; however, it&#39;s weak with OEMs and<=
br>
in education. Not to worry, Ubuntu is gaining traction with OEMs (cf.<br>
M. Shuttleworth goal: &quot;Ubuntu as the default alternative to Windows&qu=
ot;).<br>
meanwhile, OpenSuSE has the most complete education-oriented offer and<br>
LTSP work. Other distros offer different advantages; the list goes on.<br>
The Try Sugar page should be a colorful garden of choices available;<br>
which shouldn&#39;t stop us from prominently recommending (as opposed to<br=

&quot;endorsing&quot;, which implies exclusivity) a low-risk way to experie=
nce<br>
Sugar to bewildered first-time visitors.<br>
Today, Sugar on a Stick is the pillar of our marketing and<br>
brand-building because it disassociates Sugar from the XO or indeed<br>
any hardware; it makes Sugar instantly understandable to anyone that<br>
it is software. As a Sugar Labs brand, it needs to be protected. To be<br>
supported, it needs to be a stable software stack. None of which<br>
precludes anyone from doing any liveUSB they wish with Sugar on it; it<br>
just shouldn&#39;t be called Sugar on a Stick.<br>
I&#39;ve said before that our marketing mix would inevitably need<br>
adjustments as OEM deals happen. Such deals will mean Sugar reliably<br>
preinstalled and supported on thousands of machines, a fabulous<br>
development for children. This would not be bad news for Sugar on a<br>
Stick, which I believe will remain the best way to try (and possibly<br>
the best way to deploy) Sugar for years to come; as the OLPC XOs will<br>
remain Sugar&#39;s native home and overwhelming installed base for years<br=

to come (supporting which I feel as a personal responsibility).<br>
Rather, all these ways will together contribute to the perception that<br>
Sugar will work on something old, something new, something borrowed,<br>
something blue.<br>
(On a related topic, we are not even debating the role of desktops,<br>
which only goes to show how poorly their role is perceived in the<br>
stack, particularly in comparison to distros. I happen to think that<br>
the dual-desktop Sugar/Gnome approach of the XO-1.5 is brilliant and<br>
I&#39;d like to see it on every Gnome desktop for example.)<br>
So yes, we should be neutral about distros in general, while choosing<br>
the best distros for solving the challenges we face... at the risk of<br>
appearing to &quot;endorse&quot; one over another, or two over five, or fou=
r<br>
over nine, or whatever.<br>
thanks<br>
Sean<br>
P.S. The potential naming conventions section is a marketing<br>
discussion, and although it&#39;s an attempt to seek solutions, it<br>
unfortunately completely disregards how the existing brand is being<br>
built.<br>
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Sean DALY &lt;<a href=3D"http://sdaly.be"=
 target=3D"_blank">sdaly.be</a>@<a href=3D"http://gmail.com" target=3D"_bla=
nk">gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I need to express my position on the two questions I haven&#39;t yet.<=
br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I will do so tomorrow, it&#39;s late I&#39;m a bit tired to express my=
self<br>
&gt; clearly tonight.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; thanks<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Sean<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Samuel Klein &lt;<a href=3D"http://me=
ta.sj" target=3D"_blank">meta.sj</a>@<a href=3D"http://gmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; We are close to consensus consensus on the first two points.=A0=A0=
 Help with<br>
&gt;&gt; wording a final report would be appreciated.=A0 I wish I could ext=
rapolate<br>
&gt;&gt; Bill B&#39;s position from some of his earlier comments, but I can=
not :)<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; We don&#39;t have consensus on the specific wording of the 3rd que=
stion, but do<br>
&gt;&gt; on the underlying principle of &#39;not being confusing&#39; -- th=
ere are two<br>
&gt;&gt; suggestions that a more specific name than &quot;Sugar on a Stick&=
quot; be used, as<br>
&gt;&gt; that name is a normal English phrase and could naturally refer to =
a whole<br>
&gt;&gt; class of distributions.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Since there&#39;s already a mailing list and some history behind &=
quot;Sugar on a<br>
&gt;&gt; Stick&quot;, are there any others on this list that would like to =
see a more<br>
&gt;&gt; specific name?=A0 Does anyone expect this list to refer to all dis=
tributions<br>
&gt;&gt; of Sugar on removable devices, or is there broad agreement that th=
is is for<br>
&gt;&gt; a specific team, concept, and product?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Finally, are there any other questions that have been raised that =
people<br>
&gt;&gt; feel we should address?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; SJ<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu">bmschwar at fas.harva=
rd.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Samuel Klein wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt; Ben, Bill, DSD and Faisal -- can you please weigh in and =
share your<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt; thoughts?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Happy to.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Should Sugar Labs be a GNU/Linux distributor, rather tha=
n just an<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; upstream producing Sugar releases?&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes. =A0Sugar Labs should do whatever is needed to make Sugar =
easily<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; available to our audience. =A0When this goal is best achieved =
by<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; distributing complete operating systems including Sugar, we sh=
ould have no<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; qualms about doing so. =A0However, Sugar Labs should also cont=
inue to<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; emphasize the availability of Sugar through the mechanisms of =
existing<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; distro package managers, in order to reach users who already r=
un GNU.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Should SL be neutral about distributions containing Suga=
r, and refuse to<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; endorse one over another?&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes. =A0Sugar Labs does not now have a mechanism for making bl=
anket<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; endorsements, and it should not instate one. =A0Conversely, Su=
gar Labs<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; should help users to choose their best option for deploying Su=
gar,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; depending on their individual needs, and this will typically m=
ean<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; recommending a particular distribution best suited for each us=
er.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Should &#39;Sugar on a Stick&#39; be a phrase that SL as=
ks its community to avoid<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; using unless they refer to the SoaS-Fedora distribution?&quot;=
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; No. =A0We should give this distribution a unique, identifiable=
 name that<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; cannot be confused with a generic description of an entire cla=
ss of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; distributions.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>