No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

inform millions of teachers that there is an alternative?" - we are
obliged to seem to "endorse" one distro over another. But that's a
function of our combat to find a place for Sugar, not playing
favorites... "The right tool for the job". On a grassy hillside, we
send in the cavalry; on a swift river, we launch the boats. Worrying
about preferring the cavalry to the marines misses the point of our
objective... nobody would send the boats up the hill.

So. Fedora is playing a key role in the OLPC-OS and on today's Sugar
on a Stick for the forseeable future; however, it's weak with OEMs and
in education. Not to worry, Ubuntu is gaining traction with OEMs (cf.
M. Shuttleworth goal: "Ubuntu as the default alternative to Windows").
meanwhile, OpenSuSE has the most complete education-oriented offer and
LTSP work. Other distros offer different advantages; the list goes on.
The Try Sugar page should be a colorful garden of choices available;
which shouldn't stop us from prominently recommending (as opposed to
"endorsing", which implies exclusivity) a low-risk way to experience
Sugar to bewildered first-time visitors.

Today, Sugar on a Stick is the pillar of our marketing and
brand-building because it disassociates Sugar from the XO or indeed
any hardware; it makes Sugar instantly understandable to anyone that
it is software. As a Sugar Labs brand, it needs to be protected. To be
supported, it needs to be a stable software stack. None of which
precludes anyone from doing any liveUSB they wish with Sugar on it; it
just shouldn't be called Sugar on a Stick.

I've said before that our marketing mix would inevitably need
adjustments as OEM deals happen. Such deals will mean Sugar reliably
preinstalled and supported on thousands of machines, a fabulous
development for children. This would not be bad news for Sugar on a
Stick, which I believe will remain the best way to try (and possibly
the best way to deploy) Sugar for years to come; as the OLPC XOs will
remain Sugar's native home and overwhelming installed base for years
to come (supporting which I feel as a personal responsibility).
Rather, all these ways will together contribute to the perception that
Sugar will work on something old, something new, something borrowed,
something blue.

(On a related topic, we are not even debating the role of desktops,
which only goes to show how poorly their role is perceived in the
stack, particularly in comparison to distros. I happen to think that
the dual-desktop Sugar/Gnome approach of the XO-1.5 is brilliant and
I'd like to see it on every Gnome desktop for example.)

So yes, we should be neutral about distros in general, while choosing
the best distros for solving the challenges we face... at the risk of
appearing to "endorse" one over another, or two over five, or four
over nine, or whatever.

thanks

Sean

P.S. The potential naming conventions section is a marketing
discussion, and although it's an attempt to seek solutions, it
unfortunately completely disregards how the existing brand is being
built.