[Marketing] [SoaS] links from homepage to Downloads page
dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:34:39 EST 2013
IMO we need a radical simplification of the downloads page.
I investigated a bit the technical possibilities and I think we should
* For both windows and OS X
* Write a single installer which takes care of
* Installing virtualbox if not already installed
* Download the latest image
* Set it up with virtualbox and create some kind of launcher for it
* Single click application which download and writes the latest sugar image
* On a USB stick
* On a SD for the Raspberry
* Setup a web site which allows to access a sugar instance via novnc,
* Make a list of linux distributions with recent/well working
packages, which can be installed from the official repos.
I don't see all of these happening over night but they are not rocket
With these in place I think it would be possible to write a sane
download page. I don't think it should be on a wiki, or anyway any
change to it should be reviewed and tested by the marketing team +
someone with technical inclination. Anything more advanced should go
somewhere on the wiki, for technical people to edit and use.
Right now it's difficult even for me to get sugar running outside
linux (and even there I have to use sugar-build on most distributions
because the packages are often old and broken). So I don't see how we
can hope educators would do it.
More information about the Marketing