[Marketing] [SoaS] links from homepage to Downloads page

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 11:43:26 EST 2013

Alas, the "XO learning environment" Android tablets are not runnning Sugar
and were not even developed directly by OLPC, I understand the Android skin
was designed by Yves Béhar and OLPC has merely licensed their name and logo
to Sakar / Vivitar, see this thread for more information [1].

That said, there is interest among Sugar developers and the Oversight Board
to support Android. This is nontrivial for technical reasons, but there are
solutions possible.

The ITU estimates 1.1 billion mobile broadband devices as of June 2012 [2].
The majority of these are likely Android. If only a small percentage of
those are parents willing to loan their device to their child for learning
or playing, it's possible Sugar on Android could have major impact. A
garden industry is booming for kidproofing tools and learning environments
for Android, e.g. [3,4] and also see Mike Lee's links in thread cited above.

Sean.

1. http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2013-January/003412.html
2. http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/at_glance/KeyTelecom.html
3. http://www.famigo.com/sandbox