[Marketing] v1.0 of Sugar Labs Trademark Policy approved by SLOBs!

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:58:32 EDT 2010

Marketers,

I'm pleased to report that the Sugar Labs Oversight Board has approved
a first version of our trademark policy, available at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trademark

Karen of the Software Freedom Conservancy will review it over the
following week.

It has been a long road, in particular because our nascent label
program generated much discussion [1],[2]. However, consensus was
reached at the face-to-face SLOBs (minus Bernie) meeting in Cambridge
at the OLPC offices on April 12th.  I would like to warmly thank John
Tierney for taking notes of the meeting [3], which was very helpful.

A key point that was raised was our common desire to avoid alienating
distros, as has occurred in the past year with Mozilla [4]. To this
end, we the marketing team will be reaching out to distros to explain
the objectives and interest of our policy.

As we finalize the details of the label program, which we hope distros
and projects will choose, the policy will be revised. We will also
need to add text to reassure Activity authors, so as to avoid undue
concern on their part. And as our merchandise project gets underway,
there may be a revision or two necessary. That said, these should
generate only minor edits.

Many thanks to Mel for wikifying assistance!

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator

[1] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2010-January/002621.html
[2] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-January/009933.html