[Marketing] Sugar Stories... an idea to kickstart some viral (Sugar Labs birthday + Dailymotion)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:51:05 EDT 2009

We've planned our next press release for the beta-2 SoaS at LinuxTag
in Berlin at the end of June.

Keeping in mind our goal of building awareness up to SoaS v1 with PR
or events every 4 to 6 weeks, I had considered a press release for
SugarCamp but decided against it - a meeting by itself is not news, so
we skipped a "classic" press release (except for the OLPC France
release sent to French journalists). I had mentioned however that I
felt we could do something viral with video or photos. But we need a
focus, a way of kickstarting interest by journalists and bloggers (and
incidentally, a source of material for SL bloggers).

I am also regretting not having communicated our first birthday.

And, a consistent theme of SugarCamp was our need for more hands on
board to grow, a top-of-mind theme also present in our March 16th PR.

After mentioning the impact of Charbax's olpc.tv in his introduction
at SugarCamp, Walter has moved quickly to create a Sugar Labs channel
on Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs) and the first
screencasts are up!
http://www.dailymotion.com/related/x9cwni/video/x9coz8_turtleartbasics_creation?hmz=74616272656c61746564

Like YouTube, Dailymotion offers a permalink and embeddable player,
ratings system and comments, and H.264 for high-quality video to
powerful computers over broadband.

But Dailymotion has an interesting advantage: they support Ogg Theora,
a free format which can be viewed on an XO (and will be viewable in
the forthcoming Firefox v3.1). Dailymotion explicitly supports the
goals of OLPC (http://www.dailymotion.com/factory/olpc also
http://olpc.dailymotion.com/) and OLPC France has a channel too
(http://www.dailymotion.com/olpcfrance)

My idea is to do a press release next week about the opening of our
DailyMotion channel which could feature:

* Sugar Activities and tasks (collaboration, Control Panel
configuration) in action - making an unfamiliar interface familiar
* Sugar Stories - who we are, why we contribute - expressing our
passion, inspiring others
* Demonstrations of Sugar on a Stick (CD helper too)
* Short clips of SugarCamp
* Branding opportunities (http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs/video/15718734)
* and... as an occasion to celebrate our first birthday :-)

To do this, we need to "populate" the channel with films... can we do
this over the next week?

What do you think?

thanks
Sean

P.S. I would also like to open a Flickr account we could use for
photos, which will come in handy when we have the SoaS/netbook beauty
shots (planned for second week of June)