[Marketing] planet.sugarlabs.org is not indexed by search engines

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed May 6 03:48:11 EDT 2009

Does anyone know how we can allow search engines to spider
planet.sugarlabs.org? It's invisible, no search results in Google
Blogs, Yahoo main search, or Technorati.

Posts do appear in Google main search, but only if keywords are unique enough.

Perhaps it's because the RSS feed links to the original posts, not
planet.sugarlabs.org? I found that very confusing. I've only realized
today that the content of this section comes from other sites - I
thought the posts were directly on pl.sl.o. May II suggest we add
under each title: "Link to original post"

The intro copy doesn't quite fit, there's no "conversation" since
there are no comments (they are on the source blog posts)

If original posts are updated, is there replication to pl.sl.o? If
not, that won't matter in the course of everyday posts, but the day a
post is slashdotted, digged, redditted, stumbleuponed, or
del.icio.ussed due to some controversy or other this may lead to
confusion...

Perhaps we could change the existing text:

"Planet Sugar is a collection of personal blogs by Sugar Labs
contributors. Sugar Labs is the collective effort of a community of
smart and passionate people working (in very different ways) to solve
the same problem: giving everyone an opportunity to learn to learn.
Our community members write about what excites them about learning,
Sugar, and the Sugar community. In the spirit of free software, we
share and criticize—that is how we learn and improve and encourage
participation by newcomers. Enjoy and join the conversation."

to this, which is more clear and accurate?

"Planet Sugar is a collection of links to personal blog posts by Sugar
Labs contributors. Sugar Labs is the collective effort of a community
of smart and passionate people working (in very different ways) to
solve the same problem: giving everyone an opportunity to learn to
learn. Our community members write about what excites them about
learning, Sugar, and the Sugar community. In the spirit of free
software, we share and criticize—that is how we learn and improve and
encourage participation by newcomers. Visit our contributors' blogs,
enjoy and join the conversations."

thanks