No subject

Sat Mar 14 20:08:29 EDT 2009

awareness (primarily amongst geeks I think). Those visitors may have
just clicked through out of curiosity, then clicked on another page or
two; although that may not seem like much, in marketing terms we speak
of "impressions" and in brand building, multiple impressions are
necessary over time for brand values to sink in. In traditional
marketing, we talk about CPM ("co=FBt par mille", "cost per thousand"):
what is the advertising/promotion cost of generating 1000 impressions
(http://www.marketingterms.com/dictionary/cpm). For example a glossy
monthly magazine will offer CPM rates as a function of their
circulation. The Internet has greatly changed this metric by the way,
with PPC/PPA (pay-per-click/-action) being much more common (see
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/internet/cpm-ppc-ppa-ad-comparison.htm
for a useful comparison).

So, what matters today is that during these short sessions, our
visitors became aware that:

* we exist and are a community
* we are alive & kicking, development is active
* we are a separate, parallel project to OLPC
* there exists a multitude of methods for trying Sugar

The ars technica article has really helped us; after 15 or so I
stopped counting the number of other tech news outlets and blogs
internationally that linked to it.

With each press release we locate journalists who write about us; they
are added to the list for targeted mailings.

We are extremely well referenced in Google and Yahoo; we have become
very easy to find.

So, someone who knows basically what we are doing and where we are at
("they spun off from OLPC last year, now they have a beta out that
runs on other hardware") will spread that word-of-mouth when the
topics of education, GUIs etc. come up.

On the other hand, while our visibility has been raised in the tech
world, I believe we need to work hard on raising our visibility with
educators. This could happen slowly as teachers blog about SoaS
experiences, or more quickly if a key print publication or website
community writes in depth about us. I am convinced the best way to get
that to happen is through a YouTube film (on our site as Theora ;-)
showing SoaS navigation and collaboration, in short TV magazine format
like BBC Click (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/default.=
stm)
or Australia's Beyond Tomorrow (discontinued but in reruns on the
Discovery Channel). An incredible amount of useful information can be
packed into a well-edited three-minute video...

In the meantime, our visibility now can be a springboard to recruit
developers and other contributors - I'm thinking we should mention the
IRC channel in the next release or the one after - time after time I
see newcomers with lots of questions and they are pleased to find
answers & dialogue. As an IRC newbie only two short months ago, I find
that it is a super-efficient way to establish contact.

So concerning recruiting: we have a good Getting Involved page, but
perhaps we could work in a way for each team to describe & update the
kind of help they need most right now? For example, after "Tasks
typical in this role:" a section "Help urgently needed to:" ?

Note to Caroline - I am mulling over your mail about a link to there
in the sitewide navbar, I will make an updated suggestion to Christian
on the list in the next day or two

thanks

Sean

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:49 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wro=