[Marketing] Reflections on advertising

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Mar 24 18:55:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> for at least 3 seconds, and a quarter of the page in a print ad." Or,
> "we need our logo in overlay for at least 5 seconds during the spot,
> and 3 seconds at the end, taking care to avoid the corners where the
> TV station bug (logo) lives, and mentioned at least twice in the VO
> (voiceover)". Or even "we have a contract with a celebrity and we can
> do a shoot with him 4 days per year and he is filming in the Bahamas 3
> weeks from now, so we need to set the day quick before he leaves."
>
> A good agency will understand the marketer's problems and goals... and
> come up with an idea which will hopefully attract attention, generate
> buzz, build the brand values and awareness, and so on.
>
> That said... even good agencies can mess up. I am astonished at how
> bad Microsoft's ads have been as they burn through 300 million USD
> (!). It's easy to see why: nobody at Microsoft has a handle at what
> good advertising is, and the agency got overcreative, completely
> skipping over the products in a bid to seem "relevant".
>
> Here's a thoughtful guide which shows how nonprofits can waste
> precious Ad Council grants on ineffective advertising:
>
> http://www.agoodmanonline.com/pdf/bad_ads_high_res/BadAdsHi.pdf
>
> The guide outlines an excellent methodology for measuring the
> effectiveness of print ads, which of course have to fight against
> cars, beverages and meds for mindshare.
>

> Big-budget advertisers do lots of market studies and usually rely on a
> key metric: brand recognition, either aided or unaided.
>
> here's an example I am making up:
> ****************
> 1) Can you name three or more types of computers which are distributed
> to children for education?
>
> 2) Of these, can you name three or more software systems or interfaces
> which run on them?
>
> 3) Which of these education computers for children do you recognize?
> * Everex Cloudbook
> * One Laptop per Child XO-1
> * Intel Classmate
> * Apple Macbook
> * PC
>
> 4) Of these, can you name which system or systems run on which computer?
> * Windows XP
> * GNU/Linux
> * Sugar Learning Platform
> * OSX
> * gOS Rocket
> ****************
>
> Any of you will see problems in the way these questions are phrased.
> Yet, a marketer knowing nothing about computers or software would
> learn a lot about the "unaided" versus "aided" brand awareness, and by
> sifting the answers would learn how to better phrase the questions.
>
> A typical media campaign starts with a market study likes this, runs
> the campaign to improve brand awareness or positioning, then does the
> market study again to see if there has been a measurable impact.
>
> Our goal as marketers could be resumed as the following answer, when

Thanks Sean,
You are right, getting out the message will become a larger and larger
part of SL.

SL has spent the last year developing the Sugar Platform.  The next
step is getting Sugar into the hands of users.

Getting Sugar into the hands of users will involve three separate yet
critical components:
1.  Distribution  -  How do we get a working hardware/software
combination in front of users?  The packing teams at Fedora, Debain,
Ubuntu, Mandriva, and OLPC among others have been hard at work.
2.  Support - How do we provide the support necessary to make the
users experience positive.  Again we turn to the existing distros and
OEM to funnel issue report to the bug squad.
3.  Marketing - Finally, how do we spread the word about what Sugar is
and how usefull it can be.

david