[Marketing] Reflections on advertising

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Wed Mar 25 00:11:24 EDT 2009

>> Our goal as marketers could be resumed as the following answer, when
>> asked of teachers:
>> 4. "Sugar runs on all of them".

Oh... my gosh. I think my brain just exploded. Thank you for the
braindump, Sean - you're making my world expand dramatically.

Another brand awareness thing I'd personally love to push is "...and you
can help." This isn't something to consume, it's something to help
create. How to get that message across in marketing I'm not sure. We can
have Newbie Welcome Days on IRC and/or in person (like "plan your own
Firefox release party / Software Freedom Day festivities") after each
release, but that's... not marketing, is it? (says clueless Mel.)

> 2.  Support - How do we provide the support necessary to make the
> users experience positive.  Again we turn to the existing distros and
> OEM to funnel issue report to the bug squad.

Ooh, *this* would be a fun problem! Do we want to be able to market
Sugar support services (volunteer, professional, ongoing, event-based,
whatever)? Right now I think our support = "ask the developers,"
which... scales only up to a point. (This may be verging on offtopic -
if you can think of a better list for it, please move it!)

--Mel