press link & page?

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:24:21 EDT 2009

Hi Christian

We had discussed a press link in the top link bar & page before going
online with the new site and you had said you preferred to wait until
we had content

By Monday morning we will have PDFs and plaintext of the press release
in 3, 4 or 5 languages, with other languages following. Having a
well-laid out page is important, as I have only been able to compile
US and FR press contacts until now; having a direct link available to
the Spanish or Brazilian versions will multiply our chances for press
coverage. And, a URL such as http://www.sugarlabs.org/press could go
into the bottom of every press release, giving journalists a single
click to the other languages and, later, the PR history.

Speaking of other press releases; the next one planned will be
targeted at developers following 0.84.1 or 0.84.2; the one after will
be around April 10th for FOSS VT. Ideally, new releases should arrive
above older ones, so the top of the page always has the most recent
one. There might even be press releases from last year, I haven't had
time to check :-)

Since we don't know ultimately how many languages we will translate
into, and indeed we wouldn't need to translate a developer press
release into all the languages a general and teacher-targeted release
would be in, rather than a grid (ugh) perhaps a clean, ISO-639 code
comma-delimited list would be sufficient, e.g.:

Date - Title - Languages
March 16, 2009 - Sugar Labs Announces version 0.84 - HTML: en, es, fr, de, pt
                                                   - PDF: en, es, fr, de, pt

possible to vertically align HTML and PDF? in principle every HTML
will have a corresponding PDF.

The EU site uses this approach I think.

I realize that each HTML page is another page, is that a problem?

Can this be ready by the release date?

thanks