Fw: Feedback re static frontend site

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:30:19 EST 2009

Many thanks Christian, I like this better, I think it's more impactful.

Here is a raft of more suggestions for the homepage suggestion box ;-)

I will send a separate mail for the other sections, I have some
hopefully constructive suggestions for those too including copy.

Marketing listers, speak up with suggestions!

********** homepage **********

* If we could add an edit to the homepage? -> "Available in X
languages, " like so:
"Sugar is the core component of a worldwide effort to provide every
child with equal opportunity for a quality education. Available in X
languages, Sugar is used every school day by almost one-million
children in more than forty countries."
Sugar's availability in & adaptability to local languages (including
"exotic" ones) is a key benefit and differentiator. (though I'm afraid
I don't know the actual value of X ;-)

* I do feel that a very concise "motto" would communicate more
effectively our mission for children. Some text under the logo won't
detract... *if* the logo is larger and the motto reinforces the logo.
Idea: "Learning software for children." could be colored with the
first three words in grey and "children." in the matching "sugar"
color... suggesting very clearly the association between Sugar and
children (and, at the same time, "Labs" and "learning software"). Live
text for the motto would probably be better (& surely faster) than
logo image text... although I very much like the sans serif font. What
is the font by the way, VAG Rounded Light? MGOpen is an available
close-equivalent free font but has an even lighter stroke I think.

* The footer still says "index" and links to the previous homepage...
could we match that up with the dynamic top menu?

* Header: "download" -> "downloads" plural, a first (subtle) hint that
there is not (yet) an automatic 1-click installer....

* Footer: justified left? So as to be 100% sure the homepage and
sitemap links will be visible at small screen resolutions, but also
because at high resolutions it jumps to the right and I feel disturbs
the "air" of the screenshots margin.

* Trademark: my understanding is that through the SFC we have
trademarked Sugar and Sugar Labs. Like copyright, it's best-practice
to indicate that registration. I don't think we need to go as far as
"Sugar and Sugar Labs are trademarks of....", a little superscript
"TM" in the footer e.g. "(c) 2009 Sugar Labs^TM" would do the trick.

* Although I still don't like the black background which I find
gloomy, I don't think now is the time to fiddle with that. But I have
to say I do find it extremely cool that the homepage colors change
with the logo... the suggestion of surprise, of diversity in color.
That said, each time I did find the grey text having less importance
than the colored text... like "labs" is secondary to "sugar" in the
logo. Whereas the text should be of equal importance throughout I
think... As the screenshot + Dongyun Lee illustration have lots of
white, perhaps the grey homepage text up to "try it..." could be white
instead? Unless that messes up printing (white on white) and dominates
the grey of the logo, in which case a lighter grey? Alternatively: the
colored text a little darker, which would bring out the brightness of
the logo color and make the contrast with the grey less pronounced.
These approaches would make the page more readable I believe because
the logo "labs" grey and navigation grey ("more information",
copyright notice) are stable and anyway of secondary importance to the
text... Ultimately, I believe that there's a very effective color
balance to be found between the logo (+motto) and copy text. The logo
size has everything to do with this balance, in my view.

* "Try it with a child today." the period colored as well? Nitpicking,
but the call to action *is* vital - it's the conclusion of the pitch.

* "content is available under attribution 3.0 unported" -> "content is
available under CC attribution 3.0 unported" ?

* The Dongyun Lee illustration legend: "The Sugar Experience" -> "the
sugar experience: Activities" ? As I've said, I think star marketing
-> spotlight on Activities will always put our best foot forward.
Lowercase for the legends would be in line with the logo, header,
footer, and "next->" nav; while capitalizing "Activities" will
indicate their importance. They are what kids spend most of their time
in Sugar doing, many Activities are exclusive to Sugar, and their
collaborative features make them more effective on the Sugar Learning
Platform than if they were taken out and thrown onto another GUI. [By
the way, I can imagine seeing on some... generous education portal
site a 468x60 anim-GIF ad banner showing: 1) a TamTam Jam logo 2) +
text "TamTam Jam" 3) text "one of 30 Activities of the award-winning
Sugar Learning Platform." 4) text "try it with a child today" + Sugar
Labs logo]

* In a similar vein, could we link from "Sugar Activities" in the text
body to the Activities page?

* hmmm it's true we don't have the press phone number(s) yet but we
can't have no contact link at all on the homepage... I think David
mentioned there is a pr at sugarlabs.org address? We could add a simple
mailto: to the footer, and if that account could have forwarding rules
on it we could at least be contactable instead of mysterious ;-)

* We don't have "about us"... as a quick solution, may I suggest we
link the "Sugar Labs" text in the footer to
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs ?

thanks

Sean