Fw: Feedback re static frontend site

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Mar 2 10:17:20 EST 2009

The 3 big feedback points I had, other than the first "whoa, this looks
awesome!" impression.

The first is that the front page text sounds wonderful, and it's also
written at what is probably above a 6th grade level; I'd love for
children and non-native English speakers to be easily able to read this
page. So I've translated the front page text into Simple English - see
the bottom of this email. (I have no idea whether this is actually
better, but thought it was worth trying.)

> * Although I still don't like the black background which I find
> gloomy, I don't think now is the time to fiddle with that. But I have
> to say I do find it extremely cool that the homepage colors change

+1 to both, for the record; black backgrounds for some reason make it
hard for me to read prose text.

>>> * I found the floating menu disconcerting at first, since it hides
>>> text - I thought it was a bug. It took me a while to figure out it is
>>> a live menu. Could its function as a menu be indicated? Perhaps the
>>> categories could be arranged in a bar at the top of each screen -

I still find the floating menu disconcerting, and worry a bit about
accessibility. Generally, I prefer plain ol' links over live menus, it
seems more in keeping with the "simplicity" theme.

--Mel

---------------------

Original text:

The award-winning Sugar Learning Platform promotes collaborative
learning through Sugar Activities that encourage critical thinking, the
heart of a quality education. Designed from the ground up especially for
children, Sugar offers an alternative to traditional “office-desktop”
software.

Sugar is the core component of a worldwide effort to provide every child
with equal opportunity for a quality education. Sugar is used every
school day by almost one-million children in more than forty countries.
Originally developed for the One Laptop Per Child XO-1 netbook, Sugar
runs on most computers. Sugar is free and open-source software—try it
with a child today.

----

a first translation into Simple English (see
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Simple_English_Wikipedia, I
used the 1500-word list; computer, open-source, and some proper nouns
like "Sugar Learning Platform" and "One Laptop Per Child" are the only
words not on that list.):

The Sugar Learning Platform is software that helps children learn
together. Exploring programs called Sugar Activities teaches them how to
think about thinking, the most important part of a good education. Sugar
  is designed for children, unlike "office software" designed for adults.

Sugar is the first part of a project to give every child around the
world the same chance at a good education. Sugar is used every school
day by almost one million children in more than forty countries. Made in
the past for the One Laptop Per Child computer, Sugar now works on most