Getting the message out

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sat Jan 17 10:43:55 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 02:23 -0500, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> Can anyone spot any factal mistake in the list above?
>
> Or things we'd better not say ?
>
> Is it exaggeratedly positive?

no, it is a legitimately positive view

> Should we work on a press release or an intervew to deliver this
> message?

When you deliver a marketing message it shouldn't be just "notice us" we
need to define our goals and then pursue media attention.

What are the goals? I believe they are:
1) Let people know there is an organization actively supporting sugar.
2) differentiate Sugar from OLPC so that OLPC's problems aren't
perceived as Sugar's

3 things need to be done and primarily by Walter

1) Define a support program for countries, both volunteer and on
contract if requested. Since SL does not employ devs, SL refer those
requesting support to specific devs for direct employment. Have a
special support at sugarlabs.org acct/mailing list to handle problems

2) Break Sugar free from OLPC. This requires a nice slogan. It requires
changing the "One Laptop Per Child" mantra in our own minds. As long as
we have OLPC as the goal in our own minds we will be tied to OLPC.

I suggested the slogan be "Sugar[land]: Where kids learn and play" .
That's the slogan but we need a catchy mission for ourselves. Something
that expresses that every kid/adult/child deserves the opportunity to
learn and play. The mantra has to be different from OLPC. We have to
believe that all kids deserve the opportunity to hang out in Sugarland
and we don't care about what the device they are using or how they got
it.

3) Walter needs to interview w/ Boston Globe, NYT, anyone who will
listen. He needs to keynote OSCON, Ubuntu Live, whatever

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director