Getting the message out

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jan 17 02:23:02 EST 2009

Does the world know that Sugar Labs is still 100% committed to support
Sugar?

We got nearly zero press coverage lately, and the only message that
everybody got is that OLPC ditched the development of Sugar, and the
general mood is pretty negative.

Perhaps we should be much louder in telling people about a few facts
that would sound surprising outside our small circle and even within it:

 - Sugar's development infrastructure is now mostly independent of
   OLPC, thanks to generous partners (Ivan, FSF, OSL, prgmr.com,
   Media Lab);

 - For about 3 months now, Sugar Labs has already been taking
   care of Sugar development with almost no support from OLPC;

 - Sugar has not lost any of its full-time core developers as a
   consequence of OLPC's layoffs.

 - All of the core team will stay around as unpaid volunteers
   while we're looking for new ways to finance their full-time
   contribution;

 - Today, development of Sugar and activities relies upon 20 active
   contributors (we actually have 30 user accounts on sunjammer,
   but some of them don't count as contributors of any kind)

 - Over the past few months, we have grown our community with new
   contributors, new partners and new distributors;

 - The rate of development seems to be increasing steadily as we
   consolidate our new community driven development model
   (we can obtain some support evidence from git)

 - The development cycle is proceeding steadily and 0.84 will be
   released as planned in March.

It's starting to become clear that 0.84 is where we'll prove our
credibility as a real community-driven project.

Can anyone spot any factal mistake in the list above?

Or things we'd better not say ?

Is it exaggeratedly positive?

Should we work on a press release or an intervew to deliver this
message?

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/