Marketing - Context and Relevancy

doxsoup at aol.com doxsoup at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 14:08:43 EST 2009

Here are some thoughts for your review and, if any, comments.

As a first time attendee to the weekly marketing meeting (Jan. 6, 2009) I decided just to listen and learn.

And as they said on Laugh-In … Verrry eenteresting.

> From my notes, I offer three thoughts and some suggestions as follows:

Thoughts
1.  The first is the magic words in marketing are: NEW, IMPROVED and MORE.

2.  The second is that the word “platform” is so static, which is a negative for this project.  How about using a word like “ENGINE” that conveys power and movement?  Even “ENABLER” is stronger than “platform.”

3.  The third, as Walter knows, is my dislike for the current company name – SUGAR – as in my opinion it has no marketing value, and in fact can be a negative for being associated with OLPC.

Also there’s one school of thought to state a benefit.  In this case, what is our most important benefit to users?

Suggestions
As a result I offer these suggestions for the team to consider, play with, mix and match, and even trash, if it will bring more energy and excitement to this naming process:
A.  The New Engine for Improved Education and Literacy
B.  The New Enabler for Faster Learning and Energetic Teaching
C.  The New Paradigm for Useful and Usable Learning

Also consider revisiting our marketing approach in terms of what comes first and second, between Strategy
 and Tactics.

I look forward to the marketing meeting next week.

Please advise if any questions.

-dennis wong
(M) 203-858-5828
doxsoup at aol.com

P.S.  Walter Bender and I have known each other for a long time when the company I was with was a Media Lab sponsor.