[IAEP] Sugar Labs at SCaLE 17x post-conference summary

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Tue Mar 12 13:52:35 EDT 2019

We had a successful presence at the Southern California Linux Expo, and
booth visitors chose to take several hundred business cards with Sugar
Labs, Sugarizer, Sugar On a Stick, and Internet In A Box logos. In
attendance were myself, my wife, Caryl Bigenho, her lovely husband, and
Adam Holt, all of whom were stationed at the booth to interact with and
answer questions from the attendees.

Estimated attendee count for SCaLE 17x
<https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/blog/scale-17x> was around 3,000.
Despite being crammed in the rear corner of the exhibit hall, we had a
lot of foot traffic, and general interest. We gave away just under 500
sugarlabs.org-branded promotional items, which was a
sugarlabs.org-branded LED light and whistle key chain item, as well as
several hundred "business cards", which you can view below.

We had six OLPCs on display, including one XO-4, two XO-1.75's, and an
XO-1.5, all of which could be interacted with by visitors, and had a lot
of kids (I'd guess at least a hundred) stop by and play with the OLPCs.
We briefly explained what Sugar was to adults and children alike, and
encouraged them to try it out for themselves on the machines, as well as
by download Sugar on a Stick.

We also had Sugarizer on demo on an iPad and Google Nexus 7 tablet, as
well as a new $200 HP laptop running Sugar on a Stick, to demonstrate
how easy it is to run Sugar on commodity hardware.