[IAEP] SCaLE 17X March7 -10, 2019

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 21 13:51:30 EST 2018

Hi Again...

Tony Anderson would like to see us keep this discussion on the iaep list, and I agree with him. If there are really 240 subscribers, please let's hear from more of you! This is all about "marketing" Sugar and everyone should have an interest in that! (See the PS below)

Let's discuss the banner. I "created" it back in 2014 with the help of several other people... I think Tony Anderson and Adam Holt were among them. The object of calling it "olpc 2.0" was not to any way detract from "OLPC", as a matter of fact, we still have a table-size banner with the original OLPC logo and use both of them at the same time at SCaLE. Think of it as "olpc 2.0" representing all of the "children" of OLPC! They are the offshoots. "olpc 2.0" is what brings them all together as one "family" with OLPC as the "patriarch." Can some one come up with a replacement that conveys that same spirit?

Or, we can just keep the "olpc 2.0" and use it on a new banner (you will notice, we purposely used a different font and rearranged the OLPC colors). There are many other organizations using "OLPC" in their name.. OLPC-France and OLPC-SF for example, so "olpc 2.0" should not be a problem.

In addition to having at least one entity that is no longer active, the current banner is missing several others that have started since 2014 that should be included. It's definitely time for an update.

The size of the SCaLE booth is 10' by 10' so the banner has to be at least 8' wide to look good. The current one is made of a lightweight non-woven fabric that resists wrinkles and can be folded fairly small to fit in the outside pocket of a suitcase. We took it that way to LinuxFest Northwest a couple of years ago. It would be good if any new one we get would be similar so it could be shared, even by mailing or UPS or FedEx to whomever may need it to have at other events.

Alex Perez, if you have a connection that can print for us, great! Otherwise, we can get bids from several printers. I paid for the two original banners, "OLPC" and "olpc 2.0", but maybe SugarLabs would like to sponsor it this time?

Caryl

P.S. Remember, "iaep" was an acronym created by Mel Chu to remind us of what we are are really about. It stands for: It's An Education Project!