[IAEP] SCaLE 17X March7 -10, 2019

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Thu Dec 20 18:10:50 EST 2018

Caryl & others,

I have removed all of the recipients who are already members of the IAEP
mailing list from the CC: list, so they do not receive duplicate e-mails.

I will be in attendance at SCaLE 17x, along with my wife, who is
currently a first grade schoolteacher, and has taught second grade,
kindergarten, and pre-K here in California. Since this is a
volunteer-run, kid-friendly event, it has a fairly different emphasis
than a lot of other Linux-oriented conferences.

Since there are nearly 240 subscribers to the IAEP mailing list, I would
like to propose we peel off the discussion of the specifics to a
general-purpose "events" mailing list, with only the people who actually
wish to be involved in the specifics of this discussion. I can set one
up easily, and we can continue discussion there. Thoughts?

On the subject of the banner, see below...

Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> We also need to decide on a possible new banner for the booth or
> whether we might just use the one we already have. See the attached
> photo of the booth at SCaLE 15X. If we want a new one, we should get a
> design and order it right away. It always costs less if you order
> early. The one in the photo lists most, but not all, of the various
> organizations and projects that are offshoots from, or related to, the
> old OLPC organization. Thus, the title "olpc 2.0."
I am strongly in favor of _not_ re-using this banner, for a few reasons:

- It has at least one domain on it that is no longer functional
- planet.sugarlabs.org lacks quality content these days, and I really
don't think we should be encouraging people to visit it
- "OLPC 2.0" is a bit of an odd term, and since this was a
proposed/prototyped piece of hardware at one time, if people googles the
term, they get nothing useful. Furthermore, since the OLPC Foundation
still is a legal entity which exists, and holds a current, valid
trademark on OLPC,  I am against using it on signage, without the
express written consent of OLPC, Inc, which is based in Miami.

I would personally prefer to emphasize "Sugar Labs" logo, and have it be
most prominent. If I print the banner, are there any objections to that?
Do you or does anyone else know who created the banner used at SCaLE
15x? Just curious.