[IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOB] yet another motion regarding Samson's travel

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Sun Sep 24 17:40:25 EDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 04:55:25PM -0400, Adam Holt wrote:
> Flights like KLM's https://goo.gl/flights/XwKR have very efficient layovers
> (4h15m, 1h46m and 2h10m) and would save Sugar Labs $487.36 or $676.76 according
> to Samson's own arithmetic.

I'm sure there are other factors I'm missing in all this, but I wouldn't
call the last two layover times "efficient" in the context of
transcontinental and transoceanic international flight.  I'd call them
bordering on foolhardy for any but the most seasoned and flexible traveller
(eg, someone travelling light [eg, carryon only]), sufficiently experienced
and financially capable of negotiating any on-the-fly rebookings and added
accomodations necessitated by a missed connection.

It's probably why they are cheaper: Demand for them is probably lower.  If
any of those layover times include much standing in line for things like
customs, immigration/border control, security screening or the like, they
are too short.  Checked bags for domestic layovers can usually be checked
through, but for any layover that involves the passenger crossing a border,
bags generally need to be collected, taken through customs and border
control, passed through security once again, and then re-checked.  This can
go smoothly, or it can go horribly.  If there are delays for the incoming
flight on top of all that, it can make catching the connection impossible.

Foregoing the opportunity for far-flung Sugar Labs members to meet in person
at a proportionally low added marginal cost (compared, eg, to a separate
trip) could be penny wise but pound foolish, especially if the budget funds
are not fungible.

--
D. Joe