[IAEP] Membership polling - why so few localizers?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:18:09 EDT 2017

Hello All,

Several months ago I asked a question on this list related to the
membership list review that was ongoing.

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2017-June/019832.html

I'd like to repeat the question as I got no answer on the "Verified Sugar
Labs member's list" thread that was started by Laura Vargas.

Has anyone involved in the election / membership list generation ever
reached out to the Sugar Labs Localization Community about registering for
the Sugar Labs membership that their contributions have earned them?

It is a simple fact that most localizers are not as tightly attached to
software projects and their ongoing discussions as developers and other
contributors, but that is because they are often working across many
projects in support of their language.  Their contributions are nonetheless
essential and should be properly valued.

Now that we have additional members on the membership and elections
committees, I would like to request that proper outreach be made to our
localizers via the communication channel where they can usually be found:

We have had incredible contributions made in the realm of translations in
the past year alone, and it would be a gross inequality if they were not
attempts to engage these community members who contribute so much.

Below is just a sampling with Pootle usernames and recent submissions
listed by language (and only those over 100 submissions).  Very few of
these names are on the membership lists I have seen.  We can do better with
outreach to active community members than that.

*Acholi*
chanchumgpa     6475
Olot     5861
denish     857