[IAEP] [SLOBS] ACTION Required: Approval Internal Procedure definition: "Request for Travel Policy exemptions"

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:05:20 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

>>> Your welcome!
>>>
>>> I undid your changes since *a procedure needs to have Action items
>>> clearly identified to be able to track any upgrade required to the proposed
>>> procedure*.
>>>

>> IMHO, my wording was much easier to follow than yours and had a number of
>> tweaks, such as removing the requirement that the request be made by a
>> "member".
>>

> I have no idea or reference of any case. Please explain why a requirement
> would be acceptable of it is made to Sugar Labs by a non-member/contributor?

Given the problems we have had in maintaining the membership list -- long
standing contributors such as Martin removed -- I don't think it is a
reliable metric for contributor. And I have worked closely with many
members of the community who have not -- for whatever reason -- ever chosen
to register as a member. I had to wrestle with the SFC to get a travel
reimbursement of ~US$150 for her several years ago, even while she was
providing $1000s of local accommodations and other services from her own
pocket. So, yes, I feel strongly that we no restrict the process to
members.

>> Perhaps for a non-native speaker of English, adding the word 'Action:" at
>> the start of a sentence is helpful? To a native speaker, it is redundant.
>> But beyond that detail. you also undid the detailed content of my changes
>> as well. Can you explain your reasons? Did you disagree with my edits?
>>

> Yes, functionality shall not be sacrificed in the name of Cosmetology :D

I have no idea what that means.

> Remember our goal is to *make the procedure friendly, easy to understand,
> translate and follow.*

It is also presumably a goal to make it reflect our intentions and not be
ambiguous or misleading. I don't think my edits made it less friendly or
more difficult to understand. On the contrary. What was it that you found
difficult?

> A well tough procedure has few words and it is defined by it's Action
> points. There are 3 clear actions being proposed for the Cash advance -
> Travel Policy exemption procedure:

I am not one to assume a correlation between few of words and clarity. And
we are not bound by 140 characters.

> Action 1: member/contributor requests a Cash advance - Travel Policy
> exemption
>
> Action 2: Sugar Labs Oversight Board members take an approve/disapprove
> decision
>
> Action 3: In case of an approved decision, Sugar Labs representative or
> his/her delegate (e.g. Sugar Labs Financial Manager) will communicate to
> SFC the decision and make in Sugar Labs behalf the correspondent Cash
> Advance - Travel Policy exemption request
>
> Please add to the discussion (here and/or the wiki) specific requirements
> for words adding, removal, etc in each specific Action
> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Procedures>.

What I find missing from the above are all the things that I would ask
myself if I were looking for an advance: what information is required? what
are the criteria for the decision? when is the decision made? how is it
communicated? What can I do to maximize the likelihood of success for my
request. These are the things I added with my extra words.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender