[IAEP] Arbitration request: Caryl Bigenho a first warning for moderation [WAS: Re: Improving our Code of Conduct (was: Re: Code of Conduct Motion to add Anti-harassment policy - Sugar Labs)

Benjamin Berg benzea at sugarlabs.org
Thu Oct 5 10:26:33 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am not following this list closely these days, but I happened to see
this thread and was rather baffled by the (covert) hostility
perpetrated and apparently observed by people on all sides.

I do *not* know the background of the whole issue. But I don't think
that this matters right now. If people have strongly opposing positions
on a topic, then it can be next to impossible that no one will be hurt
at some point. In my experience that can easily happen even if everyone
tries to keep the discussion civil.

Keep in mind that priorities differ a lot. Ideological believes differ
a lot. People may agree on most facts about an issue and still come to
entirely independent conclusions.
At first glance this does appear to be a case where there is no clear
perpetrator or victim and each sides escalation is likely a sane
response from their point of view. Focusing on a few selected ("well
defined") infractions seems odd, when the history of the conflict shows
that all parts have done their part in escalating things further and
further. And such escalation can already happen due to communication
issues like bad wording or misinterpretation based incomplete
information or false assumptions.

Starting an arbitration process does seem like a viable course of
action to me. However, I strongly believe that any punitive action must
be at the discretion of an independent party. I am noting this as this
request appears rather direct in asking for a certain action to be
taken. I believe that this is incompatible with the purpose of an
arbitration process where it is likely that all sides will need to make
an effort to understand each others motives to then find some common
ground.

In such a process an (enforcement/punitive) action may be a possible
outcome in the end. But as I said, the party doing such a decision
needs to be independent and hopefully is able to understand the motives
and arguments of each side.

I do hope that everyone involved is dedicated to a proper arbitration
effort. I expect that untangling the whole situation will require a lot
of effort. This is an effort that requires both time and emotional
energy from all parties so that they can try to understand the
different aspects.

If successful, there is the potential of resolving the conflict well
enough that everyone can still be part of the community and work
together. If unsuccessful, my guess that one or more parties will be
alienated from or pushed out of the community.

Benjamin