[IAEP] Funds for local cost

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue May 30 20:51:08 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Samson Goddy <samsongoddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is a spinoff motion [1] from the previous one i proposed. The main
> purpose of this proposal is to help support my trip to bordeaux especially
> on local expenses. This is a well thought proposal, since the community
> can't afford to send me and ibiam to bordeaux. I made a solo motion for
> just me, because the scratch team will be taking care of my flight and
> hotel cost in france.
>
> As per Adam's request on the last motion. My plan is to get money from
> scratch team to cover the ~800 euros cost for this proposal then get
> reimbursed if i successfully get my visa for travel. So the community will
> not border about losing money if i don't get the visa.

Can you break down this $~900 (€800) into a more precise budget please,
explaining exactly what's needed?  Thanks as the following paragraphs don't
give enough information to understand why $~900 is being sought:

"First all the embassy in Nigeria are either in Lagos or Abuja. So he has
to stay in Lagos or Abuja for the period of obtaining the visa. This will
cover return flight cost from Port Harcourt to Lagos or Abuja.

I took the bus to Lagos (and the passengers were extraordinarily gracious)
but if you must fly Port Harcourt to Lagos/Abuja because your parents don't
allow you to take the bus, that is (about) $100 in each direction.

i have to go to lagos so that i can stay in a friend’s place, but cost of
food will be on it too. The Visa processing takes about minimum of 15 days,
but if the Scratch team request i go to Abuja instead for the visa. The
costs of my hotel bills will be covered by them.

Great if Scratch has offered to cover hotel bills in Abuja (which might not
even be needed if you stay in Lagos?)  Why is Scratch potentially requiring
you visit Abuja?

This money will also serve for transporting me to the different locations
in Bordeaux for the conference. The Conference will be taking place in 3
different areas in Bordeaux, also some taxing fees we’ll have to pay before
we can leave Nigeria to France."

http://www.scratch2017bdx.org/en/map-of-venues/ says the entire week's
transportation costs should be €13, or free if a bikeshare is used
according to http://www.scratch2017bdx.org/en/getting-around/

Thanks Samson for clarifying, so people can vote based on a very real
budget projections.

I hope this get seconded so that it can be voted upon

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !