[IAEP] Yoruba localization contract completed

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:44:28 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM, David Ally <david_ally at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Sugar labs,
> Great to hear that progress is made on this project, thank you all for the effort. Who is testing those already translated contents? and where can I access them? I would like to showcase them to some partners that may push further on other areas here.
>
> Regards!
> David

David,

Let me give you a little background on the localization workflow so
you have a better idea of how to work with these new strings. What I
announced was that the translations had landed in Pootle, our
translation server, that is just the first step of several needed to
make them available to end users.  On the server-devel list I
announced a series of pull requests to land these translations in
individual activity's github repositories.  Walter Bender and Utkarsh
Tiwari  have taken up my request and landed the majority of these new
translations (in the form of refreshed yo.po files) in the individual
repositories on github.

These newly committed translations are not automatically available in
the form of a new release of the activity in question.  When to create
a new release and host it on the activity download site (ASLO) is up
to the individual maintainers.  a new PO file is not going to
automatically trigger a new version build and release.  When a new
release is made, then the new strings will be available, prior to
that, there are some methods for manually updating the activity's PO
(and MO) files that are described on pages like this.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Testing

Please note that we no longer generate Language Packs, which used to
be a nice shortcut for someone wanting to retrofit their currently
running build with fresh translations.

Please describe a bit more of what you have in mind and perhaps
someone can suggest more specific steps that will help you get where
you want.  With regard to the Yoruba strings, in particular, I would
suggerst that perhaps the first step would be to review the strings in
Pootle with an eye to confirming or improving them.  I'm happy to
collaborate on committing any improvements that can be made.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/yo/

Given that Yoruba has multiple dialects, does not have a strongly
standardized orthography (spelling rules) and given that it is a tonal
language with many, many diacritical marks (áàāéèēẹ / e̩ẹ́ / é̩ẹ̀ /
è̩ẹ̄ / ē̩íìīóòōọ / o̩ọ́ / ó̩ọ̀ / ò̩ọ̄ / ō̩úùūṣ / s̩) I would not at
all be surprised to find that there were ifferences of opinion on the
spelling of some of the strings.  In the end of the day, only actual
use by native-speakers who are willing to provide that sort of
feedback will be critical as it is for all languages, let alone one
that can be considered digitally disadvantaged like Yoruba, where what
we have is one person's first6 pass at the L10n.

cjl