[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to undertake a fund raising drive.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:33:24 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 4 June 2016 at 15:25, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I  am all for raising funds but we need to articulate the reason why we
> need
> > them.
>
> I feel frustrated that no one has seconded this motion.
>
> The 2 emails below are the reason that I began discussing the
> solicitation of donations from members, and having just looked at
> Laura's spreadsheet - since the ledger file itself is not yet
> available to me - I want to be clear about why I have posted this
> motion and hope that it will be seconded and approved.

I thought we were still discussing it. I think a number of people have made
it clear that they don't think an open-ended solicitation is a good idea.

> It seems the general fund has __JUST__ enough resources to pay for the
> Translations-Community Manager position this year:
>
> Last year $9,000 was donated, and as I expect Chris will invoice
> $1,000/month for the 8 months of May through December 2016, then it
> seems we have $1,000 left in the general fund.

It was my understanding that the Trip Advisor funds were paying for the
i18n manager position.

> Where did this $9,000 come from? I guess some is GSOC and GCI mentor
> fees. Any other sources?

This may include some unspent money from the Gould Grant as well. Cannot
say for certain.

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs