[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to undertake a fund raising drive.

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 18:30:51 EDT 2016

Dave - I developed the Sugar on a Stick strategy in 2009 on the basis of
great work by the developers at that time. The rise & fall of that effort
can be painstakingly documented from the lists, but the most efficient way
to do it is in a discussion.

There were some important learnings:
* Some of the tasks that need to be done are drudgery or quite difficult,
and in an all-volunteer project, they don't get done.
* It doesn't work to "assign" tasks to other volunteers, unless they are on
board with why they should do something because somebody else said so.
* Unfortunately, success can bring negatives as well as positives out of
people, and emotions can run high.
* The relationship with OLPC, principal vector of Sugar distribution, can
occasionally drive one nuts.
* Many engineers (bless 'em, this is not an insult) are utterly clueless
about marketing, which has undesirable side effects: underestimation of its
importance, lemonade-stand level of professionalism, even dismissal of its
relevance.

Since 2009, there have been some major changes in the world: the decrease
of laptops and the dominance of tablets in the education market, the
incredible penetration of social media...

I was unable to attend the latest SLOBs meeting, but I read the log with
interest. I agree with Sameer when he says that e-mail and IRC has
limitations which slow down the exchange we need to have on the Vision
topic. We need to do a phone call or face-to-face of some type.

Sean

​