[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motions A & B for Tomorrow

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 3 01:13:45 EDT 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 11:27, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> The motion as drafted in the PDF above does not require Bernie to speak
>> with Person X to ask permission to buy things under $Y; it does mean that
>> Person X _could_ disapprove the spending, but I don't think we should worry
>> about that. If push came to shove, Bernie could get SLOB to approve it
>> directly.
>>

> This last statement makes no sense to me.  Bernie "does not" need to ask
> permission but his purchase may be "disapproved"?

Right. Bernie can go ahead and make the purchase on the assumption that it
is reasonable and will be approved.

If on the off-chance that he and the FM disagreed about the purchase, he
would have recourse in SLOBs directly. If SLOBS disapproved the spending,
he's out of pocket.

> Or is the intention to *add* another person separate from any concrete
> goals within the organization some unilateral spending privileges?  If the
> latter, what problem are we solving?

The recent domain renewal is a great case study about why we want to add
another person separate from any concrete goals; that person acts as a
'catch all' or 'back stop' to solve the problem that there is a small
expense that needs to be covered quickly but without a formally structured
role in place it isn't clear who can approve the spending.

If you still find yourself puzzled by the motivations for more structure, I
recommend a close reading of http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm -
I found it very enlightening as to the problems inherent in
flat/distributed/self-empowered organizations :)