[IAEP] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Aug 5 17:45:12 EDT 2016

Hi

In today's meeting, Seb mentioned the 2017 SLOB election is coming up fast
and should happen in (early) December.

The election commitee last year was Samson, Caryl, and Sebastian, and Seb
invited me to join, which I am happy to :)

I suggest we start making steady progress and update the community at each
monthly SLOB meeting for the next 4 meetings that remain this year.

http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_dd38dc6aa11d1a98 says
"The top four candidates will serve 2 year terms and the next three will
serve 1 year terms" and here's the ordered list:

1. Walter Bender
2. Lionel Laské
3. Adam Holt
4. Sameer Verma
5. Claudia Urrea
6. Tony Anderson
7. Jose Miguel Garcia

Therefore Tony, Jose Miguel, and Claudia's seats will be elected this year.

The first thing I think needs to be done is to get a confirmed list of
members. I can take care of it this month.

Currently the member list is maintained in a Google Docs spreadsheet. Seb
confirmed members were not contacted so far this year; the only activity is
to add some new members to the sheet this year. Walter suggested a mass
email to ask members to confirm/update their member status, and indeed it
seems to me that the #1 purpose of the sheet is to have a list of people to
email about Sugar Labs business.

So I propose that, since at the last meeting a motion to ask members for
dinero passed, and since I have a large list of everyone who ever mailed a
SL mailing list, everyone who every made a wiki account, and this members
spreadsheet, I will mail all these people once to ask if they want to be
'members,' which I propose to define as having an email registed on a
sugarlabs-annouce mailing list. This way there is no ambiguity that only
paying members are members; instead it can be clear anyone on that mailing
list is a member, and no payment is needed. I think it would be good to
promise not to mail this announce list more than once a calendar month, and
to configure the list as a public list where joining is moderated and so is
emailing the list (ie, it can only be made by authorized persons.) Seb
supported this idea.

For people who are not on the list, it seems there is already a procedure
defined for how to deal with them.
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members#Currency_assurance_policy
says, "In order to ensure that the Sugar Labs Membership list is reflective
of the current status of the project and its participants, once a year
members will be asked to confirm that they still wish to be a Sugar Labs
Member. If this request bounces, or if a request has not been replied to
after it has been a) resent, b) checked for a more current email address,
and c) six months have passed, the member will be sent a removal notice
with an invitation to reapply." Therefore 6 months after this email, I can
send a known-good list of accounts to remove from the wiki and we'll have a
definitive active members list.

So, I volunteer to do the following before the next SLOB meeting:

- I will ask Sam C to set up a new sugar-announce at lists.sugarlabs.org
mailing list with himself, myself, samson, caryl and seb as list admins.

- I will complete the review of all accounts on the wiki to mark the ones
that look like spammers

- I will make a final 'all possible members' email list

- I will draft the email that asks people to join the announce list and
explains why I am asking them to do this, and a motion to approve the
election email, and share it on the IAEP list for community review

- I will ask SLOBs to post and second the motion

Then in early September I can send the email, and prepare a report with the
new list of members and similarly to before another draft email soliciting
board applications for SLOB to review and approve in the October meeting.

Then in early October I can send that email, perhaps also with the donation
request, and then prepare a final email calling for votes that SLOB can
review and approve in the November meeting.

Then in early November the call for votes can go out, votes can come in,
and in early December the results can be announced.

Cheers
Dave