[IAEP] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Fri Aug 5 18:57:44 EDT 2016

Hi Folks…
A few minutes away from "Camp Grandma and Grandpa" to check emails (it's nap time).
This is all well and good, however in the past (when I first joined Sugar Labs) members had to qualify by actually making some tangible "contribution" (not money) to Sugar Labs. This could be development of software or hardware, having a small deployment, hosting Sugar Labs and OLPC events, and the like. We didn't simply say, "Hey, why don't you sign up and be a member?"
What you are suggesting seems to throw away all criteria for membership, other than a person saying, "Sure, sign me up."
This cheapens both the organization and discounts the efforts of the many, many members who have done so much work in the past.
I do think getting the membership list up-to-date in a timely manner is a great idea and I am glad Dave is volunteering to do the job. The list we were left with for last year's election was a total mess and the names  of many folks, who were long time contributors, were missing. Hopefully we caught all of them by sending numerous emails keeping everyone up-to-date on the progress of the election. Many replied with "Hey, how come I didn't get my ballot yet?
I urge caution in going forward with this. We should end up with, hopefully, a complete, up-to-date list, with current valid email addresses, of all contributors to Sugar Labs projects (of any kind) who desire to be members. Bigger isn't better in this case. Quantity definitely does not mean quality.
Caryl
Now, off to get my nap! Five-year-olds can be exhausting and if she is napping now, she will go to bed late tonight!