[IAEP] 2015 SocialHelp Survey?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Apr 23 15:17:18 EDT 2016

Hi Sam!

On 23 April 2016 at 00:45, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm no longer afk.  I have collated the results into the attached
> spreedsheet.
>
> Previously, I also wrote up an analysis of the results.  It is also
> attached.

Awesome!! I uploaded the files to the wiki and added them to the
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team page

For me the *Pain Points* and *Important Features *sections were very
interesting! Thanks for putting this together!! :D

You proposed 3 *Major Takeaways:*

Users do not understand the design patterns in Sugar. This was signalled
through two methods. Firstly, users prioritised a tour or explanation as an
important feature. Secondly, users expressed confusion with the interface
and frame.

I agree, a tour would be a great activity. When I purchased a new XO-1 in
2007 and a new XO-4 this year, it came with a little printed leaflet with
some basics; and I think there is an assumption that the UI is discoverable
by kids if they have unrestricted free time to play and explore it. However
I haven't seen any UX-study-style testing of this assumption.

https://turtle.sugarlabs.org has a welcome tour. Can something like that be
done with PyGTK3?

Developer and deployers have differing opinions compared to students and
teachers; eg. reducing Journal clutter is significantly more popular with
developers and deployers than with students and educators.

That's interesting! I wonder if students/educators work around journal
clutter, or if they don't consider it to be cluttered at all. Which
deployments can we ask about this?

The most important features to the Sugar community are Browse activity, the
Journal and Turtle Blocks. These are closely followed by Write activity,
Collaboration, the Terminal and the Sugar style design.

I see that none of these are in the top 20 on
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/browse/type:1/cat:all?sort=popular

I can see how Browse is the most important activity for people who can be
online to take the survey... for deployments without effective internet
access, I wonder if that is still the case.

Cheers
Dave