[IAEP] Features wishlist from 2007

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Apr 22 20:31:36 EDT 2016

This is central to the 'vision'. In my 'vision', the goal is to promote
Sugar in the consumer world as an effective learning resource for
learners who
do not have access to computers or the internet (live on the wrong side
of the digital divide).

There are many commercial and non-profit organizations which are trying
to show a snappy interface attractive to parents of children used to
Android or the iPhone. Sugar can easily become one choice among many -
where most have far more resources than we do.

I think we have an opportunity to work to the original concept of olpc -
using Sugar to attract sponsors for deployments at schools or other
community institutions in the two-thirds of the world that does not have
effective access to the internet.

The problem with jazzing up the interface with 'gradients, transparency,
shadows, and stuff' is that it demands more system resources without a
clearly commensurate value to the learning experience.

Tony