[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Apr 12 15:38:15 EDT 2016

> On 12 Apr 2016, at 11:36, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> On 12 April 2016 at 09:17, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
>> One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that, although we could do
>> better, the wiki and the mailing list are among the *things that work*.
>
> Right, that's why I am focusing on reforming them :)

Replacing is hardly reforming.

> Kindly, the wiki [is] stale.

Changing a wiki with "click to edit" to a different system with a "click to edit" function will not make it less stale.

>> Frederick Grose has been on top of the Mediawiki from the web-admin
>> point of view and is quite knowledgeable of it.
>> I'm afraid a longer different-to-wikipedia process might be a chore to
>> set up with little return of investment.
>  I'm advocating for [changing from mediawiki to something else].

You don't seem to have anyone to actually do the work to even set up a credible alternative yet. Why don't you do that first and migrate part of the content, then advocate for switching?

>> El 12/04/16 a las 07:58, Dave Crossland escribió:
>> >
>> > +1
>> >
>> > Who will set this up on the SL servers, and when? :)
>>
>> As with all volunteer projects, those who do the work decide how (and
>> when) it's done. I don't think this is low hanging, or even fruit.
>
> If no one wants to do it, I think Github Pages + Jeykll wins, because the only systems administration effort is required is setting the DNS records.

If noone wants to change things, we should change things?

The point is that because it's a waste of work and nobody wants to do it, it's not going to get done. Not dealing with that is just wasting emails.

> --
> Cheers
> Dave

Martin